OfflineAdmin
· 08/06/2020 3:33 PM
Allenb, how are you doing?

Oneal
· 08/05/2020 1:08 PM
Is anyone roasting on a Coffee Tech FZ 94? Using Artisan. Need help. thumbdown

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
it is ok. I do not remember. I think it was a callout to the spam shout.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,681
Newest Member: Noboundries
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Behmor 1600 Ordered
Tony_C
I pulled the trigger on a Behmor 1600, and will be receiving it in a couple days from Burman. Free shipping, plus 8 pounds of green beans. I welcome all comments and tips for my first roast. I've watched many a youtube video, and read much on the roaster, and decided on it for one of my roasters. So anyone who wants to provide their opinion or info is greatly appreciated.

billsey
Run a couple of roasts through in automatic, changing charge weight for each, and try to get so you can easily recognize the end of drying, the start of first crack, the end of first crack and maybe the start of second crack. Once you have a handle on how it all works, and you've tasted those roasts, you can start tweaking for what you like best in any bean. Plan on sitting watching, hearing and smelling what's going on, while still catching the nanny mode flashing at 3/4 the way through.

allenb
Hi Tony, Billsey has given some great pointers for getting your feet wet with the Behmor. While I'm not totally up to speed on the Behmor Plus features, it appears you can switch to manual control instead of just using the preset profiles. It also appears you can change drum speed with the Plus.

I've had my Behmor 1600 since 2012 and I'm still amazed at how good of a roast it can turn out.

For an example, I had been roasting a Kenya Chomo from Happy Mug recently in my 1 lb gas drum and was pretty certain I had achieved all that could be had from it and was impressed with the cup. Last week I roasted 1/2 lb of it in the Behmor with settings at 1lb, A, P1 and propped up the front of it about 2 1/2" until first snips of 1C then removed the prop block. I took it 2:45 past start of 1C while cracking the door open about 1" several times till end of roast. I was amazed at the improved body, sweetness and more rounded acidity the Behmor roast gave me. There's been quite a few posts on various coffee sites where the Behmor gets a bad rap due to lack of user interfaces but as Billsey stated, when one gets a handle on how it works you can get great roasts out of it and to me, comparable roasts compared to the best commercial drum roasters. One thing to avoid regardless of manual/auto profiles is to allow roasts to drag on too long by roasting too large of a batch. On the other hand, keep in mind that infrared roasters such as the Behmor typically take longer to reach yellow/yellow-tan than other roaster types due to the reduced infrared absorption prior to reaching tan and darker colors. This doesn't seem to have any negative effect on the outcome of the roast.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Tony_C
Thank you both for your advice. I can't wait to get started roasting with the Behmor. Tuesday is the delivery date, and I will be jumping right in. From my start in roasting being a stove top method, the sounds, and the smells of the roast were very important. So billsey, I will be sitting in front of the Behmor like it was coffee tv. I have plenty of greens and will take both yours and allens advice.

LongLeafSoaps

Tony_C wrote:

I pulled the trigger on a Behmor 1600, and will be receiving it in a couple days from Burman. Free shipping, plus 8 pounds of green beans. I welcome all comments and tips for my first roast. I've watched many a youtube video, and read much on the roaster, and decided on it for one of my roasters. So anyone who wants to provide their opinion or info is greatly appreciated.

Wow! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Jump to Forum: