You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,639
Newest Member: dbharsh
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Did someone sneak me decaf?
Lawnmowerman
I think I may have gotten decaf that was mislabeled. Nothing that would concern other roasters here, as I purchase from a local roaster. It's always good product and the owner is more than accommodating. But mistakes can happen. Anyway, since I roast only non decaf, I'm just about doing the curly shuffle with these beans. They don't seem to look like decaf green but what do I know? During roast they just don't smell right. The normal smells are replaced by a bunch of funky, unfamiliar shells. After four attempts with this bean, even my roaster smells funky. Even stranger, it seems this bean is very easily steered, has a high threshold for overcorrection, has a very well pronounced 1st crack, a delay, followed by a second crack. All of these events occur at temperatures that would be expected . But the end product,even after reaching a rolling second, is something that can only be called underroasted. Green, grassy bitter and after 3 consecutive munch tests I realized it was undrinkable. Multiply that by three batches, every one of them tossed. Shock Now, the flat side of the bean that I use as an indicator of roast level is exhibiting none of the characteristic swelling immediately on both sides of the crevice that I'm familiar with. It's all flat,just like an underroasted bean. Is this decaf? Thank you all. Ben.
Lawnmowerman attached the following images:
20141111_223143-1.jpg 20141111_223017-2.jpg 20141111_223005-1-1-2-1.jpg

Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

coffeeroastersclub
My experience with decaf roasting (minimal) has been that 1st is hardly observable and 2nd can be confused with 1st. Shock

Anyone else see that?

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
HoldTheOnions
If you are a good customer, then I would just take them back. If you never complain, then they will listen to you, and odds are pretty good they already know there is a problem.

Lawnmowerman
Thanks Len and onions. I also would expect 1st crack to be hardly noticeable. Strange. I went back to the roaster and got them exchanged. They don't know either. Still he was very accommodating. I will probably never know. Thanks again. Ben.

Omega
In both the green and roasted state, those beans look weird. Not anything like what beans normally look like, at least the caffeinated beans I roast.

I'm glad that your local roaster took them back!

Barry

Lawnmowerman
Hi Barry. Thank you for your input.To me the green beans didn't look any different than the usual from that origin (png) ,but of course I don't have any left for comparison. I was also out of roasted coffee, and was given a pound of roasted Guatemala besides the kilo of green Sumatran. I must agree it's good to be nice. Funny thing. I brewed some of the roasted Guatemala, and it seemed much too light for my and my wife's tastes. I was under the impression that I might be able to slide one more day before roasting at home, however, my wife has strongly suggested that I roast tonite. Because it could be better Grin

MerlinWerks
If the first pic is of the unroasted beans, then I would say they certainly look like some "Mountain Water Process" decaf that I used to roast. "Swiss Water Process" decaf looks more like normal coffee i.e. green as opposed to brown...

threwitallaway
The greens look a bit dark, typical of some decaf coffees. The other possibility is they are very fresh from origin country and still have quite a bit of moisture in them, possibly much more than ~12%.

I notice when I roasted decaf coffee that the beans looked dark to begin with, and after 1C and a normally city+ drop temp, they were WAY darker than any other roast at this temp.

So, without knowing, it looks as it is a real possibility you got decaf.

-nate

Lawnmowerman
Thank you Merlin and nate. I'm pretty sure they're not decaf. My camera used the flash and ruined the colors. I had wondered about it being decaf because of the weird smells. After roasting the Sumatra everything smelled fine ,but the end product was still not what I would call good. And the roasted Guatemala that I got,also was not as good as it has been. That is the case sometimes. So...I rang up happy mug today. ThumbsUp 3lbs on the way.

MerlinWerks
Good call, Happy Mug Rocks!
I've enjoyed everything I've gotten from Matt so far. Gonna pay him a visit over the holidays...

Primo Crepa
Lawnmowerman, your pictures aren't overly clear but I don't think your beans are decaf. Could be any number of things rot, high moisture content, old beans, whatever. You can usually spot decaf both Swiss Water and MC by the dark color of the bean along with a washed and polished look.

I happen to have some PNG (NOT decaf) here so I snapped a couple of pics for comparison. The first is of the greens and the second is a batch roasted about a week ago to a Full City + or just beginnings second crack.

Good luck,

Leonard
Primo Crepa attached the following images:
fc.jpg green.jpg

Ryan
My first impression of those greens was, they look similar to a Sumatra Mandheling I had recently. I roast a fair amount of decaf and I find it rare to have a well pronounced 1st crack. Most of the decaf I roast is Swiss Water and they have very little chaff left on them after being processed. Did you get much chaff off of those roasts?

Lawnmowerman
This was definitely not decaf. Too much chaff. Nate's suggestion of a high moisture content seems plausible. I'm not sure. That would probably account for the funny smells. My vendor didn't inform me one way or the other (awfully busy) . That's ok. With the plum and blueberry(sipi falls and harrar) on the way from happy mug, I'll be just fine soon. This is just a quality issue. Thanks again. Ben.

Jump to Forum: