Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 08/10/2020 8:46 PM
Had to make myself another cup of coffee to get through it.

snwcmpr
· 08/10/2020 7:33 PM
I went into withdrawal for a bit. Now .. all is good. roar

mtbizzle
· 08/10/2020 7:26 PM
Yeah Jack I think so, I couldn't access for a bit

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 08/10/2020 6:51 PM
Did we lose the site for a while?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 08/06/2020 3:33 PM
Allenb, how are you doing?

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 1
mg512

Total Members: 6,687
Newest Member: merahbangsawan
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Reusing storage bags with one-way valves
nixda
I have a bunch of used mylar bags with one-way valves from commercial roasters, holding about 1/2 lb each. I was wondering if there is anything that speaks against reusing them for degassing my own roasts. Would it make a significant difference to use new bags and seal them? Tentatively I would say reusing is fine, but I wanted to check if I am missing something.

BTW, where would one get fresh bags (not that I have a sealing iron...).

Airhan
Sweet Maria's sells bags for a pretty low price, the only problem I see with reusing them is that coffee oils will coat the inside of the bag and eventually go stale, imparting a unpleasant flavor to your wonderful beans.
The bags from sweet marias have zipper tops, so you don't need a sealer anyways. You can also remove the valves and put them in mason jar lids.
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

BarryR
I reuse these bags from Sweetmarias (or toastmasters). The come in 1/2 lb and 1 lb.
I don't really worry about coffee oils (I also infrequently roast as dark as FC+ and never darker). After many uses (?10 or 20 or more) the zippers tear and it gets thrown out.

It helps to open them with a little care to prevent premature destruction of the zipper.

edit for simplicity, there is no need to quote the post directly below the post...
Edited by ginny on 01/26/2014 7:55 AM

John Despres
Hi, Nixda.
Why degas in bags? I use jars - leave the lid loose for a day, then tighten it up.

Then they go in the dishwasher, and are ready for more coffee.

Mine are jelly jars and I've been using the same ones for about 5-6 years or so. Jars aren't as sexy but it's a dark closed cupboard and no one can see 'em. Saves a fortune and it's easy to pour the beans out.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
jkoll42
I'm with John. I don't see an issue with reusing those bags but with Ball (or similar) jars you get near infinite uses out of them and can run them through the dishwasher.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

BarryR
I did it because of the one way valve (I thought it might be better for keeping the beans fresh) though you got me think maybe it doesn't matter much. I'm also wondering now if a lose ball jar lid would basically act as a one way valve anyway, pushing up when there's enough pressure and dropping down and mostly sealing when there's little pressure differential.

turtle
I let my roasts sit in a wire colander for the first 12-24 hours then to tightvac jars with the lids off for another 12-24 then capped up.

Not sure if this is the best way to do things but it seems to work for me as I can shake/toss the beans around in the colander to remove more chaff before putting them away

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/beans/chiapas_01-12-2014_zps957f3fad.jpg

Koffee Kosmo
One can reuse the Mylar bags until the seal is no longer working
The bags can also be washed if needed to remove oils ect
I know of some people that use a new freezer bag to place beans in, and then insert it into the Mylar bag - as a liner you could say

Mylar bags with one way valves are my preferred method of storage

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
sierranomad
I use those cans from Planetary Design (got them from Seattle Coffee Gear) that hav lids w/ one way valves. The lids can be pushed down to the level of the beans so there is little oxygen in the can.

But I wait 3-4 days before putting my beans in the canisters. When I put them in right away the coffee has an "off taste" that I imagine is from being trapped with the gases. As I understand it, the one-way valves are supposed to let the offensive gases out, but...
Jon

http://www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com
jkoll42

BarryR wrote:

you got me think maybe it doesn't matter much. I'm also wondering now if a lose ball jar lid would basically act as a one way valve anyway, pushing up when there's enough pressure and dropping down and mostly sealing when there's little pressure differential.

You got it. Tighten the lids just slightly - there is enough contact to keep air from getting in and it will be loose enough to let the pressure out.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

oldgearhead
If someone is doing a pole I vote for Mason jars, also I prefer the two-piece lids....
No oil on my beans...

Jump to Forum: