Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Koffee Kosmo
OfflineAdmin
· 08/12/2020 5:37 PM
And I thought it was just me that couldn't access the site All good now - coffee kept me company

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 08/10/2020 8:46 PM
Had to make myself another cup of coffee to get through it.

snwcmpr
· 08/10/2020 7:33 PM
I went into withdrawal for a bit. Now .. all is good. roar

mtbizzle
· 08/10/2020 7:26 PM
Yeah Jack I think so, I couldn't access for a bit

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 08/10/2020 6:51 PM
Did we lose the site for a while?

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,688
Newest Member: AaronT
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best Roast Level for Pacamara?
MassWineGuy
I have a lot of El Salvador Pacamara beans and a Poppery hot air roaster. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best level of roast to take these beans to so they show their best?

Thank you.

ginny
do you have a farm name or can you tell us how is was processed?

most of that that I have had has been city plus to full city plus depending on what flavors you may want from the coffee.

-g

beach

ciel-007
In addition to what Ginny said, the answer would also depend on your favorite method of extraction. For example, if you like filter/drip coffee, you might experiment with roast stoppages ranging between the beginning and the end of FC. If you prefer espresso, you might experiment with roast stoppages around the beginning of SC and possibly beyond
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

MassWineGuy
I don't know the farm's name, but I use a French press. I'll experiment.

JimH
The best aspects of a pacamara are the lightly floral and fruited notes, so a dark roast would be too much. Pacamara is also pretty hard to roast well using a fluidbed, it is a large screen size and medium density bean, so it is difficult to loft. Best results usually come from a slow start, fast finish roast that ends fairly soon after first crack ends.

My recommendation is to use a small load, and stir vigorously in the beginning. Keep the popper tilted throughout the roast, and be prepared for the temperature to take off like a rocket when you hit first crack, those big beans have a lot of thermal inertia. I would probably end the roast by smell, when you think the fruit aromas are starting to fade, it's time to stop.

MassWineGuy
Thanks, Jim. I modified my technique today and roasted some more of these beans. Longer delay until first crack and definitely a lighter roast. I'm optimisitc.

Jump to Forum: