Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
it is ok. I do not remember. I think it was a callout to the spam shout.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/24/2020 3:52 PM
Sorry Ken, I deleted your shout by mistake. Lots of shoutbox spam attacks lately.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,670
Newest Member: HunkBulos
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Discovering Decaf Roasting
ciel-007
A couple of days ago, my daughter-in-law surprised us with an announcement. What is noteworthy is the fact that it happened as I was handing her a cup of her favorite drink - a caffè macchiato pulled from my special blend. As she declined my cup, her large blue tear filled eyes reached into mine as she asked: “ Do you have decaf? “

To make a long story short, I bought 5 lbs of Columbian (Swisswater) decaffeinated beans yesterday, and I found myself in uncharted roasting territory, once again. I roasted my first batch (250 grams) to the end of 1C, and dumped the smoldering mass at 416 F. Theses roasted decaf beans looked much darker than my regular blend (I typically dump on the verge of 2C at around 428F, or into 2C at around 438F). My trusty Brewtus II had never pulled a decaf shot before, but when it did, I was surprised to find the result to be much better than I had imagined.

I am excited by the prospect that decaffeinated beans might be capable of yielding some pretty good roasting results. I am wondering how many of you have roasted decaf in the past, what kind of beans you have used, what SO or blends you have had success with, what sort of profile was employed, and at what temperature your have been terminating your roasts? Thanks, Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Gregman
Yeah I'v tried a few decaf's. The beans do look strange indeed.

I've tried a Colombian swiss water and a mountain water (which is really the same thing) from Ecuador.

I find the beans have to be treated with more care and less heat then normal coffees. If not they will reach first crack too fast with quite a bit of scorching.

As to times temps? I don't use a thermometer just sight/smell and whirly pop.

For regular coffee we try to stay just before or a bit away from second crack.
For espresso maybe 5 seconds into second crack.

Overall I agree about the results. Very good coffee and I would not have know it was decaf if the bag did not say so. One of the guys at work begs me to bring more in. Although I must admit it's not my regular practice to drink decaf.

What was the "announcement". Sorry but this could mean baby or cancer to me? I hope the former and if so so congratulations!
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!

jkoll42
I have roasted decaf in the past for relatives and the results have been fine. I'm not sure what the beans were - whatever SM had in stock for decaf. Never pulled any shots with them however.

If it is the former, the caffeine in a shot of espresso is below the daily level allowances form my understanding. This advice is being given by someone who is not a doctor, but did watch House every week when it was on.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

ciel-007

Gregman wrote:

Overall I agree about the results. Very good coffee and I would not have know it was decaf if the bag did not say so...

What was the "announcement"...

It looks like I'm about to become a "Grandaddy"
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

yamhill
I've roasted a variety of decaf SO and blends from Sweet Maria's. My wife is happy with the results.

I'm roasting in a popcorn popper and generally trusting a temperature probe in the beans for the roast level. I just hit a batch of decaf beans that reacts differently. It cruises through first crack temperature with hardy a sound. If I apply a lot of heat right about 380 or 390 I'll get an audible first crack, but more than likely I'll also get a charred mess.

I learn more every roast, and these bean yields good results if I'm gently with them.

ciel-007

Gregman wrote:

... I find the beans have to be treated with more care and less heat then normal coffees. If not they will reach first crack too fast with quite a bit of scorching...

I too have found that the decaf beans seem more vulnerable, and behave differently in the roaster, than their regular counterparts.

In order to slow down the temperature rise in my last roast, I increased the payload to 300g. For both batches, 1C occurred at the same T (384F), but the second batch was about 30 seconds behind in climbing that slope.

I dumped the beans at 417F, four minutes after 1C had begun; this time, the larger batch size helped me to prolong the maillard reaction period while maintaining a pretty even roast. Ciel

Dan
The are difficult to roast, especially the espresso blends since each bean is behaving badly! I've not done much roasting of decafs, but I think of them as if they have already been roasted and I'm REroasting them, so less BTUs are needed.

http://www.intactamerica.org
ciel-007

Dan wrote:

... I think of them as if they have already been roasted and I'm REroasting them...

Dan, you've captured the exact feeling I experienced when I first saw these "green" decaf Columbians. Their unusual appearance prompted me to ask the supplier: "Have these beans ever been roasted before?" Ciel

ciel-007
Here’s a brief update on my decaf roasting trials:

One of the most significant flavor enhancing techniques that I have begun using to maximize the flavor of my decaffeinated roasts is a variation on a method called “melange roasting”. In this instance, the “melange” consists of beans dumped at different roast levels.

More specifically, I begin the process of dumping small portions of the roasting beans when the BMT has reached 403F (that's well after 1C activity began around 385F); then more beans are dumped at 413F, then at 423F, with the final dump occuring around 428-431F (when 2C is active).

This type of "melange roast" greatly enhances the flavor and complexity of decaffeinated roasts in my cup.

oldgearhead
My decaf approach is to blend a Columbian SWP with one or two other WP varieties pre-roast. Then roast the the 440 gram mixture (melange) like this:
1) Drying - 3 minutes at 1000 watts with 20% recycled hot air
2) Ramp to FC: 5-6 minutes at 1350 watts with 40% recycled hot air.
3) Finish: 4-5 minutes at 975 watts with 20% recycled hot air.

This seems to be a step toward removing the 'flatness' I usually find in decaf.
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_8387_2.jpg

No oil on my beans...

Jump to Forum: