Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
it is ok. I do not remember. I think it was a callout to the spam shout.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/24/2020 3:52 PM
Sorry Ken, I deleted your shout by mistake. Lots of shoutbox spam attacks lately.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,670
Newest Member: HunkBulos
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favorite Region
whizzer
Spawned by much discussion over the poll question: What is your favorite region to drink coffee from and why? No multiple choice limitations... Discuss :-)
Edited by whizzer on 04/19/2006 9:18 PM

whizzer
Before I tell all about what I like, I'll have to agree with metal here and say my very favorite coffee varies from lot to lot. At any one time it is difficult to predict which coffee in my stash is going to be my favorite by region alone. However I do have tendencies that seem to show up consistently, and that's what I plan to discuss below.

Personally, I tend to be the most impressed with African coffees. I have especially enjoyed the Kenyan and Ethiopian coffees I've tasted. My first love, however, is Sumatra which is still a favorite with me.

I have tasted several of Tom's CoE Brazils, and while they are very good coffees, they are too plain for a simple single origin cup of coffee in my taste. They are great to thicken the body of blends though. I feel much the same way about the Colombians. The only S.A coffee I've really liked was Tom's CoE Bolivia which I really had quite a thing for. I look forward to tasting other Bolivians to see if it was just a fluke.

I really haven't tasted enough Central American coffees to have an opinion on that one. I will be checking out some Guatemalans and probably one of Tom's CoE Honduras lots at least in the near future. I thought the Nicaragua Pacemara Peaberry was good, but not my favorite.

I have never had a cup of Hawaiian that I thought was even close to worth the price. In fact, I've always favored the African and Indonesian coffees over Hawaiian. I have had some excellent JBM, but have not yet bought any green to roast myself. I have roasted several batches of Tom's Puerto Rico Yauco Selecto and have been less than impressed with what I got for my money there too. I didn't seem to favor the PNG - Kimel much either so I'm thinking island coffees just aren't my thing.

Looking forward to hearing what other people like and why :-)

metal
Well done whizzer, I feel like I wrote your post te-he..
My opinion of colombians is mostly the same but have seen a few exceptions to my rule of boring colombian. I really think the Reagan administration helped push the hype for colombian coffee. Most colombian coffee is like using starch to make a good soup. A great thickener, but if you did not put it in your self you would not even know it was there.

I have tried Kona I liked well enough in the past but have rarely had one that would stand on it's own for the price. This year is one of the worst years for Kona I have seen for probably 10 years. I have had three seperate farms this year an to be honest I would rather suck on the ass of a small rhino than waste my time with one of these in my cup.

I custom roast a batch of Kona / Coelho's every week or two for a local doctor and Banker here in Mount Gilead. I don't have the heart to tell them they would do better to leave out the Kona. They say it reminds them of their trip to the Islands. I say they should to take a trip to Africa or Indonesia next time and remember that Grin
Edited by metal on 04/20/2006 9:59 AM
i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/metalcrafter/coffeebloomfeathertransparent.jpg

pollywog
I believe that part of the reason that many people appreciate Columbians Brazils etc. is the same reason many of us (not myself) tend to find them boring. They are fairly predictable they seldom shock us. Look how many of our blends are 50% or more Brazilian or Columbian.

Many coffee neophytes don't really like strong coffee. (It really is an aquired taste). Look at the sales of Starbucks Venti Mocha Drinks 5 shots of concentrated flavored syrup, 12 oz of steamed/frothed milk, whipped cream topping. Did I forget two shots of espresso? I might as well have. After all that you could substitute used motor oil! s:7 This is considered a premium coffee beverage by many. I confess that 6 months ago I was one of them.:(

Subtler palates take longer to develop, and not everyone has the ability or desire to do so. Does anyone else remember how truly odd it sounded the first time you read something like "It started out with a burst of blueberry marshmellow-creme followed by a rush of apple dumpling/maple-syrup and finished with a hint of key-lime pie and an aftertaste of fine cigar smoke" and realised they were talkin' about a freakin' cuppa joe?!Grin

Metal touched on something else, nostalgia. We should never forget (at least those who are in the business) the power of good memories. Many of us have wonderful memories of parents and grandparents etc. sitting around drinking coffee. Perhaps they might slip us a little with milk and or sugar. The right scent or taste can take us back to that time. Guess what coffee they were probably drinking... Columbian. Of course it's entirely possible that they were drinking some crappy, burnt, perculated robusta blend in which case I'd find some other way to recall those times.

s:8

P.S. I really like Sumatras
Edited by pollywog on 04/20/2006 1:48 PM

metal
Pollwog, Sumatras I find pleasing for the most part and sometimes you find a jewl in the rough. Did you know Mandheling is not a region but a peoples (sect) of whom do the picking? Little know fact unless you have been there. They are a proud people and take great pride in their coffe work. They will come accross a road or even a field to tell you they are Mandheling.
i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/metalcrafter/coffeebloomfeathertransparent.jpg

Coffee Savant
Ethiopians, hands down. Yirgis, Sidamos, Harar, etc... I could just drink this region forever.

http://pacamara-peaberry.blogspot.com/
Ascholten
I don't have a really 'favorite' yet here. I hate to say it but I pretty much like them all. I only had one coffee that I didn't really like and it might have been the way I cooked it.

Different coffee's for different things. When I wake up in the morning I want something, strong, yet not overpoweringly strong, nice full bodied but, well. gentle perhaps we should say sweeter or slightly fruiter taste. I don't dare say breakfast blend but you know what I mean. Many good coffee's can do this for me. Brazillian, Guatemalan, Kona, oh lots of them, the Austrailian was superb for this.

If I want a good strong espresso now, I am going to pick a different coffee, one more to match what I am looking for there too. Chances this coffee is going to be from another region than the breakfast fave.

Then again, a region can have a really good coffee, and a really crappy one too. A coffee that was great this year, might be not so great next year.

I don't play favorites, I like em all.

Aaron
Bean there Done that, donated the T-shirt to the Church of the Second crack.... St Beanyface

les_albjerg
If I were limited to one region, it would have to be Africa. I drink a lot of Central American coffee, but African coffees seem to be my favorite.

Les

EddieDove
Those Ethiopian coffees really put a smile on your face, don't they Les? Grin

Eddie

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
RayO
About that comfortable flavor, reliable roast origin- Wouldn't that obviate the job of cupping? From one lot of green coffee, sometimes a particular roast might shine as a drip brew in a Gold filter. If something's missing in the flavor bouquet, the press might bring it out, or even my funny-looking Capresso espresso thingy could bring it out with some temperature surfing.

That reminds me- I removed some plastic dildo from the bottom of the filter handle. One screw unhitched some plastic pieces. Made it bottomless. A surprisingly light tamp yielded the famous endless crema stream. My normal packing must be overly aggressive.

Reliable flavor- or lack of it- don't Fourbucks and Folgers sell that?

I hate Same. Insanity is not all it's cracked up to be.
Cheers -RayO

Got Grinder?

EddieDove
I love the never ending joys of the nuances.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogsp...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
stereoplegic
coming into this thread a little late, but here goes:

Coffee Savant wrote:
Ethiopians, hands down. Yirgis, Sidamos, Harar, etc... I could just drink this region forever.

les_albjerg wrote:
If I were limited to one region, it would have to be Africa. I drink a lot of Central American coffee, but African coffees seem to be my favorite.

eodove wrote:
Those Ethiopian coffees really put a smile on your face, don't they Les? Grin

whizzer wrote:
Personally, I tend to be the most impressed with African coffees. I have especially enjoyed the Kenyan and Ethiopian coffees I've tasted. My first love, however, is Sumatra which is still a favorite with me.

The only S.A coffee I've really liked was Tom's CoE Bolivia which I really had quite a thing for. I look forward to tasting other Bolivians to see if it was just a fluke.

I have to agree w/ all 4 of you: africans have always been my fav's, especially ethiopians (but let us not forget kenyans and tanzanians). haven't tried the bug yet, so i can't speak for that one. yemenis were too much for me at first, but i'm really beginning to appreciate those little power-packed cornucopiae (would that be the proper plural form?). i'm hoping my congo kivu peaberry just needs a little more rest.

i have had a few brazillians i really liked, and perhaps one columbian, but overall i too have found them to be boring (though most of these were professionally roasted, and i always HATED sumatra until i roasted my own mandheling).

i've always loved mexicans and (non-overroasted) guatemalans. i had a chance to ask avi katz (of katz coffee) if he offered anything lighter than vienna roast, so i could get more origin flavors out of my kenyans and guats, and he asked, "why? what are you looking for?" i told him i usually got nice sweetness and/or cocoa powder from guats. he said, "really? i usually get a more smoky flavor from them" (wonder why).

i've gotten nicaragua limoncillo estate var. java in both sampler packs so far. while i'm glad i only got 1 repeat, this was probably 2nd or 3rd in line of sampler coffees i wouldn't mind repeating. this one has really impressed me.

whizzer: did you get a chance to try tom's bolivian organic peaberry de montana? wow! one of the smoothest cups i've ever had. what a great way to boost my roasting self-confidence in my first sampler pack.

http://enlightencoffee.com
Javadude
I do love Africans like Yirg (the wine of java) and a bold french roast of Tanz PB. I have not tried the JBM or pure Kona, I never liked kona blends untill recently I tried a cup of a blend and I must say I enjoyed the nutty notes. But as far as my Fav's I have to be the bad guy and say I love a city roasted Colombian Supr in the morning. Espresso's or a Sumatra Mand venni in the noon time and a Yirg or a sweeter blend in the evening. Oh and hello to everyone in the forum and a Happy New Year..............

Jump to Forum: